In order to preserve the friendly and sociable nature of the society and because of the capacity of the Discovery Centre, we do have a membership limit.
During each summer, we operate a waiting list until we know how many of our members are renewing for the coming season and therefore how many places we will be able to offer to new members. Please visit Joining or Renewing if you wish to be added to this list.
Visitors are welcome, however, at any of our Tuesday meetings at £5 per session (maximum number of visits: 4). Certain premium events are charged at a higher rate; please check the Main Programme calendar for details. Please note that we have a minimum age limit of 16 years of age. All young people under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Our main meetings are every Tuesday evening from 7.30 – 10.00pm at the Discovery Centre, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB. Ample free parking is available in Tower Street Car Park, a short walk from the Discovery Centre.
Our season runs from the first Tuesday in September to the first Tuesday in June, with a short Christmas break. In addition, there are a number of optional meetings, social events and “photographic walks” through the summer break.
The Society caters for all skill levels from enthusiastic beginners through to experienced advanced workers. We feel that everyone can learn something, or take some inspiration from most, is not all, of our meetings.
- Current Membership (2020/21 season) rates are:
- £79 for a standard single membership,
- £139 for joint membership (two people at the same address),
- £10 for full-time students (under the age of 21).
- Uniquely, for the 2020/21 season, renewing members receive a Loyalty Discount because of the Covid-19 disruption to the 2019/20 season. Details are under Payment process.
- Visitors are welcome at any of our Tuesday meetings at £5 per session (maximum of four visits). Certain premium events are charged at a higher rates. Our Extra-curricular meetings at Littleton and Otterbourne are reserved for members only.
As a Members’ Society, we offer an environment with the aims of the promotion, encouragement and enjoyment of all branches of photography through meetings, lectures, workshops and other activities aiding member advancement. We also offer members a tailored education programme during the season at a small extra charge.
Many of our members have decades of experience of photography as a hobby or sometimes a profession. Friendly informal advice is always available from those members on a Tuesday or a Wednesday evening. In addition, we offer formal training courses (at extra cost), typically half-days or full-days on Sundays.
No, in general you do not need to bring a camera to a Tuesday meeting (unless we have a (rare) practical session).
Yes, although they tend not to be part of our main programme. Examples include:
- Practical Workshops, either on camera techniques, or on post-production software techniques (available to members approximately monthly on Wednesday evenings).
- Occasional “Photographic walks” are offered in the Winchester area or further afield, for example to London. These are arranged according to demand and may be evening events or half- or full-day outings.
- Yes, one of our main themes through the season is our internal competitions. We offer five Print and five Projected Image Competitions per season, with classes of Beginners, Intermediates, Advanced and Gold – giving the opportunity for members at all levels to enter. For those with a competitive spirit, points awarded at each competition contribute towards a league table position for each member.
- Less formally, several competitions take place through the season on specific themes (e.g. Monochrome, Audio-Visual, Portraiture, etc.).
- Trophies are awarded for all Society competitions at an annual end-of-season prize-giving event.
- In addition to the society’s main programme each Tuesday evening, optional Wednesday less formal sessions are offered to members at a small additional charge at the Memorial Hall, Littleton. Currently these meetings involve one of the following:
- Workshops: Practical topics either on photographic techniques (e.g. Macro, Flash, Studio, etc.) or Computing Software & Techniques (Calibration, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.)
- Panels: An informal group which encourages members to work creatively on groups or sets of pictures (“panels”) with a common or linked theme.
- Beginners: An informal group aimed at less experienced photographers.
- Improvers: An informal group aimed at intermediate photographers.
- Enhanced Reality: A group aimed at practising creative techniques, normally in post-production software.
We would encourage all potential members to come along to any Tuesday meeting to “sample” the society. Please introduce yourself to any member for help in settling in. We ask for a fee of £5 per evening for visitors and a higher rate for our premium events.